Grand Cards: Hanging Them Up

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hanging Them Up





I remember when I started writing this blog.  I was back in Michigan for Christmas in 2008 and, after a year or so of returning to the world of baseball cards I told my future-wife "I think I'm going to start a blog."

And so I did.  I started up a little blog with a simple post--Grand Cards: A History

For the next two years I diligently chronicled the ups and downs of my collecting, of the Tigers, of baseball cards as a whole and of Curtis Granderson.  I was there when Curtis was traded to the Yankees, prompting a series of four posts called "Apocalypse Now."  I was there when the Tigers had their hearts crushed in Game 163 and when they made the playoffs this year.  I kept up with the times, producing a series of very long, but entertaining to write posts called "The Grand Scheme" in which I surveyed the card/sport landscape.  These were the good times.

This blog was born of a few things.  I was only a year removed from Michigan in 2008 and the Tigers were a strong, fun connection back to my friends and family.  It also happened to be the start (then the middle) of the recession.  I had a full time job, but we didn't have jobs that kept us busy full time.  Similarly, I had all sorts of extra time outside of working hours to fill with blogging.  Combine those with a newfound enthusiasm for collecting and a unshakable admiration for Curtis Granderson (which holds to this day, even in pinstripes), and this became a thing.

Today "Grand Cards" dies.  It's death is the result of the recession (it ending), my return to graduate school, the continuation of a full time job that has gotten obscenely busy, the trade of Curtis Granderson to the Yankees and a general malaise that I have felt the card blogging community over the last two years.  As I write less and read less I notice that others write less too.  Some of my favorites are gone without a trace.  Blogging, as a thing, seems on its way out.  Twitter is in.  My collecting continues, but I just don't feel like talking cards as much any more.

For those of you that have noticed, this is a slow death.  There have been fits and starts over the last year, but the writing was on the wall.  I simply don't have the time or energy to keep it going.

And you know what?  That's fine.  Blogging was something that I did because it was fun.  It was a supplement to my collecting and a way to connect with other collectors on the internet.  I enjoyed it and you all have been great.  But the blog came to oppress me and that, in and of itself, defeated the purpose of having it in the first place.

So, Fin.  And Thank You to everyone who read what I had to say over the years, or traded with me, or commented on my posts, or sent me pictures of cards for my galleries. 

It's been fun.
 



14 comments:

  1. So long, buddy. I feel ya with the busy job and the malaise. Grad school I don't even want to think about. If you ever get the writing bug again, we'll be here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I've enjoyed the ride. Thanks and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, thanks for a fun blog. Second, I completely understand with the whole grad school time crunch...I've found that the only thing that has kept my blog up and running is box breaks (and now a group break). It's quite difficult to find the time to devote to the blog amongst other "more important" responsibilites... Best of luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the others said, goodbye, good luck, and I understand how things go. I'm not too sure how things will look on my blog in the next month or two. Hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy the hobby even if you aren't writing about it. I've been around the community for a relatively short time, but I've noticed several long-time blogs disappearing but plenty of new ones coming up. I think there will be a blogging community for a very long time. Some will turn to tweeting (not my thing) and others will just leave, but there will be new writers joining the group. At least, that's my hope.

    Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take care, and best of luck with your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed your site. Best to you, and here's to the off-season going by as quickly as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck. For me, blogging beats tweeting every second of the hour. Maybe I'll be the last guy blogging, I don't know.

    But don't let the job eat you up. I know how that can go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck moving on! We're gonna miss you in the blogosphere! It's been nice getting to some what know you over the past few years! Drew

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Todd Jones?!
    Gonna miss this. Already been missin' it...
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck Dan. Hope it all works out for you.

    Night Owl-- I plan to hang around with you as long as I can type!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the Granderies and best of luck in all things card-related and otherwise! See you on the Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just reading this now. Sorry to see you go! I know from experience it can be hard to keep a blog going.

    ReplyDelete