Grand Cards: The End is Nigh!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The End is Nigh!

It started innocently enough:


Then today, we're hit with this:


For those of you not in the know, these are the two most recent releases from Topps. Sure, they already had Curtis Granderson as a Yankee in Topps Series 1--but it was in Short-Printed, stealth form. These cards are the regular cards from the set. Curtis Granderson is now officially a Yankee in cardboard.

And I, for one, don't have a problem with that. He is a Yankee after all. The big question is, is this the end of Granderson as a Tiger in baseball cards? I'd like to think that the answer is Yes. Now, don't get me wrong. I love Curtis as a player and more 2010 cards of him as a Tiger would be fine, but I feel like once you've started a path--e.g. including him as a Yankee in each of your first three releases--that you should stick with it. I'm not on board with the back and forth that, say, Thorzul has experienced in trying to chase down CC Sabathia-as-Brewer cards. A chase that has spanned releases over two full years, despite a mere couple of months of playing time. From here on out, if I see a checklist and I see Granderson, I want to know "Yankee." That's just the way it is.

But is this the end? Is it upon us? Or am I bound to see Curtis in the Old English D once more this year. I'd imagine that I will, but given the card companies' love of the Yankees, and the much, much bigger market that they can tap into by slapping him with the ol' NY, I wouldn't be surprised if those chances are few and far between from here on out.

5 comments:

  1. just you wait for the Granderson pictured as a Yankee with a Detroit jersy swatch.

    it's coming. you know it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be seeing relic cards for years, until Topps runs out of Tiger jersey scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it is, but that would piss me off for a whole different reason--namely, if I could identify the swatch as a Tigers swatch I'd say "where was that when he was a Tiger?", since all of his swatches were either plain white or plain grey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Topps will just take the leftover Granderson jersey and "accidentally" use them to fill in another Tiger. You'll never be able to tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a friggin' great blog!!!! Thanks for dropping in on Zoey's log and letting me know about the Granderson Yankees cards that those fellas over at Legends were so ignorant of...I'm going back there tomorrow!! Gonna be a regular over here now....Nice work! Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete