Grand Cards: The Great Grand Cards Anniversary Contest!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Great Grand Cards Anniversary Contest!

I've been traveling over the last few days and have been occupied spending time with family and friends, leaving little time to blog at all. WIth that, the one year anniversary of this blog passed unceremoniously at 11:59pm last night.

But no worries! I don't have a anniversary post planned, but I have something better. Last night, when we arrived to visit our friends in Ohio, I was greeted with this Christmas gift from my friend Mike:



That is TWELVE boxes, of varying sizes, of baseball cards (with some basketball/hockey etc. thrown in. Much of it is as you expect--there is your metric ton of early 90s stuff--including a fabulous starter set of 1992 Stadium Club, but I've also seen some pre-1980s Topps stuff, some neat minor league and oddball cards etc.

Here's the catch. 1) I can't transport all of them home and 2) I can't necessarily keep all that I bring home. That means these boxes need to be combed through to find the things I want and the rest left for Mike to do as he pleases. Which brings me to the contest.

I NEED TO GIVE SOME OF THESE CARDS TO PEOPLE WHO WANT THEM.

Contest Rules
1. Become a follower of this blog (if you are already a follower, just let me know in the comments
2. Guess how many DIFFERENT Detroit Tigers cards I pull from these boxes to bring home
3. Guess how many OTHER cards I decide to bring home with me.
4. Post about this contest on your blog (and provide a link) to get a second guess of each.

Prizes
Two people will win--The person who most closely guesses the number of Tigers Cards and the one who is closest to the overall number of cards that I keep (Closest, overall--not Price-is-Right rules). The Winners will receive all the cards of their team of choice that I can find. YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR TEAM OF CHOICE WITH YOUR ENTRY.

Deadline
January 1st, 8pm Eastern Time.

We are leaving here on the 2nd, so this will give me just enough time to count my cards, find the winners and pull all the cards of the winners. Because of this very tight time frame, I will bypass a winning guess that does not include a team of choice in the comments.

That's it. The Clock is Ticking so GO GO GO! Feel free to comment with any questions.

20 comments:

  1. I'm already following your blog.

    Total number of Detroit Tigers: 285

    Number of other cards you take home: 100

    I'm a Giants fan. :)

    http://agiantblog.blogspot.com
    http://baseball1976.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second guess (my post about your contest will show up in a few hours)

    Detroit Tigers: 380

    Other cards you keep: 200

    Go Giants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Already a follower

    2. 195 different Tigers

    3. You kept 500 other cards

    4. Happy blog birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Already a follower

    207 Tigers

    724 others brought home.

    Yoor contest is linked in a post on my blog now.

    162 Tigers

    67 others brought home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please include your preferred teams in the event that you win--I'm guessing that Night Owl is the Dodgers and AdamE is the Red Sox, but I need it in the comments for everyone. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. been a follower for a long time. Just ask my wife.

    174 Tigers
    1500 others (it's hard to say goodbye)

    Go Braves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) Already a follower.

    2) 172 Tigers cards

    3) 101 other cards

    4) Go Diamondbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) I stal....uh...follow you.

    2) 85 Tigers

    3) 150 other cards

    4) From the Great state of Texas, yooooouuuuuurrrr Houston ASTROS!!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I read your blog weekly, at least.

    2. 300 Tigers

    3. 500 other cards, filling 1 800 count box.

    4. Big Braves fan here! GO BRAVES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smitty: I don't see you in the followers list under that name. Who do you follow my blog as? If you just read the blog, please sign up to follow in the "Followers" bit in the sidebar (under the previous posts section).

    AnthonyK--do you follow as Anthony Kates?

    The rest of you are all right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on one year.

    Number of Tigers: 432
    Rest Of Keepers: 189

    Team: Tigers that you already have and do not need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Number of Tigers: 642
    Number of Others: 158
    Team: Let's Go Mets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Already a follower.
    Tigers: 425
    Rest: 100
    Team: damn, this is WAY before the Rays. I'll go Braves

    Also, posted this on my blog.
    Tigers: 345
    Rest: 25

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tigers: 316

    Rest: 115


    Team: Braves

    (I see that other folks have picked the Braves as well. What happens if two people with the same team win?

    If that is the case, then my second choice would be the Yankees)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tigers: 461

    Others kept: 750

    Team: Expos / Nationals

    ReplyDelete
  17. You assumed correctly. But just for the record: Dodgers

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you walkaway, walkaway
    I walkaway, walkaway...I will follow

    Tigers 242
    Others 342
    Team: Braves

    (The Edge guitar solo)

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. I'm following the leader... the leader... the leader.

    2. 345 Tigers

    3. 456 other cards

    4. Unfortunately... I don't have a blog of my own... YET!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here's the second chance entry...

    prerequisite.

    Tigers: 350

    Others kept: 350

    Team: Let's go Yankees? (possible trade cards)

    ReplyDelete