Grand Cards: The Grand Scheme Has A Quick Announcement To Make

Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Grand Scheme Has A Quick Announcement To Make

I'm giving a way a metric ton of cards Yeah, that's right. You see, I live in a rowhouse in Baltimore City. For those of you not familiar, rowhouses are long, narrow and have no closets. Maximization of space is the name of the game. One thing that that is rather wasteful is a box (ahem...boxes) of cards that I don't particularly care about.

So I'm giving them away.

Kind of. Over the course of the next week or so, I will be hosting the "Grand Card Trade Down." Every day at 6pm, I will post a particular lot of cards that I will be giving away. The idea is simple: Make me an offer for them. Any offer will do and the best offer will win. I'll spell out the rules when I launch the first contest tomorrow, but I'm keeping things as simple as possible. All contests will run until 5:30pm the next day.

So, keep an eye out for this. I am literally trying to get rid of boxes of cards, some new, some old, some autographs, some relics, some oddballs etc. I need to get rid of 1000 cards AT LEAST. And all you need to do is offer me up an old Tom Brookens or something.

Day 1 of the contest will start tomorrow at 6pm!

In other news...

Demoted Rick Porcello was sent down to AAA after another rocky start yesterday. This is the right move. He's been having a rough time of it all year, with a sinker that isn't sinking and a slider that isn't sliding. He's only 21 years old and after seeing what a trip to Toledo did to Max Scherzer, it was a no-brainer. He'll be back at some point, probably after the All-Star Break. In the meantime, his fill-in is still a question mark.

Still Boesching the Ball Basho (Brennan Boesch for the uninitiated) is still punishing the baseball. He's actually played himself into being a legitimate All-Star threat, which is something that exactly zero people would have predicted at the start of the season, or even a month ago.

But I think the question of everybody's minds is, "Where does the Banana Tree stand relative to other rookies?" Well, Bless You Boys is glad you asked. They've got a complete rundown of stats that compare Jason Heyward to Basho. Guess who has a higher Batting Average, OBP, Slugging Percentage, OPS, and more Extra Base Hits in in 65 fewer at bats? Come on, guess.

Granderson makes his Pitching Debut This weekend was weird. On Friday former Tiger Dontrelle Willis pitched against the Tigers (and lost, unsurprisingly) against Armando Galarraga (his replacement). On Saturday, former Tiger Edwin Jackson took the mound. On Sunday, it was former D-back Max Scherzer...facing Ian Kenneday.

3 starters were on different teams explicitly because of the Granderson trade and one former Tiger (Willis) faced his replacement. The only pitcher to not have switched places on a roster in one way or another was Rick Porcello...who was demoted to Toledo after the game. What an odd weekend.

On Dizziness Miguel Cabrera left Friday's game with Dizziness. People were worried but Jim Leyland assuaged our fears.
"Miguel got hit where it's not very comfortable and was dizzy,"
Oh my god I've been there and it is a horrible horrible feeling. I'm not surprised that he wasn't taken out immediately, it's one of those things that just builds and builds until you just want to die. I shiver just thinking about it.

Misc. I'm giving away cards in bunches large and small every day starting tomorrow. That's all you need to know.