Grand Cards: A Small Bonus

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Small Bonus

2007 Goudey may be one of my favorite sets since I re-started collecting. There's something about the small, yet larger-than-tobacco-sized cards that is incredibly appealing for your base set. Personally, I think that the quality of the Goudey sets diminished in 2008 and 2009 when they went to full-sized cards, and that the "minis" from those years were where all the fun was.

However, I didn't actually collect Goudey in 2007. I was just dipping my toe in the water, and was still blissfully ignorant of the dozens of product options out there. It wasn't until 2008, with my Granderson collection in full swing, that I started picking up the previous year's set. One thing that I'll often do is start collecting just a team set (base set) for a particular release. If I like it, I might go after minis (A&G), parallels (Topps Gold), or inserts or autographs or master sets. Usually I'll begin these quests opportunistically, like when a bargain rears its head or I find that I already have a card that can serve as the lynchpin of the set.

That's kind of what happened to me at the National. I was looking for some cheap game-used cards to see if I could kick off any other side-sets that I wasn't really working on before. Turns out that I can:

2007 Goudey #58 Jeremy Bonderman Game Used

It's in that great Goudey-mini size, and comes with a small bonus, a mini-swatch of jersey inside a mini-G on the front. Is the card absolutely amazing? Well, no. But it's pretty good, even better for $1 at the National and even better because it gives me something to post about today, with Jeremy Bonderman taking the hill against the Yankees tonight.

With this and some of the other minis that have made their way to me recently, I'm starting to ask the question: does anybody make pages for cards this size? It seems like such a waste to fit them in slots made for full sized cards.