Grand Cards: An Ounce Of Gold

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

An Ounce Of Gold

Did you know that some suckers are paying over $1000 for an ounce of gold right now? I paid $2.95...and that included shipping.

2009 Topps #451 Ryan Perry Gold (#1580/2009)


This is the second of the big Tiger rookie cards this year. The updates set actually pairs Perry with Porcello, a card that I am excited to get my hands on. This is all very reminiscent of the Justin and Joel stuff from 2006 when Verlander and Zumaya were the hot rookies. I just hope that we can keep Perry's arm attached long enough for him to establish himself.

2009 Topps #538 Carlos Guillen Gold (#2007/2009)


Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 starting left fielder for the Detroit Tigers...sigh.

And finally...
2009 Topps #566 Dontrelle Willis Gold (#1030/2009)


How do you put the best possible spin on acquiring a Dontrelle Willis card, a player who is arguably represents the worst contractual decision in baseball history? By making him the last card you need to complete your 2009 set of Gold Detroit Tigers! Sure, I've got the Updates & Highlights to go after now, but Series 1 and Series 2 are finished, and look shiny and beautiful in binder pages.

And, just for good measure, as oil prices are also on the upswing:
2009 Topps #425 Curtis Granderson Black (#42/58)


No, that was not included in the cards that I got for $2.95, but it is the first Topps Black Granderson card that I have. I really like the look of Topps' parallels, but I will say that for all the accolades that the 2009 design has received, I think that the big gaudy borders of years past really shine in Gold (note the 2008 card clippings at the top of this post). Not that I'm complaining.