Grand Cards: Tigers Gallery Checklist: 1988 Donruss Baseball's Best

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tigers Gallery Checklist: 1988 Donruss Baseball's Best

With newer sets, I just pull images however I can get them. However, I'm committed to just posting the older sets that I actually have...for now.

When I opened the package there was a sticky note that said "more to come." This was the junk wax that dayf of Cardboard Junkie was evidently seeking any excuse to unload. My package of junkwax to him was a suitable prompt, it seemed.

The thing was, I didn't have many (hardly any) of those mid-80's cards that Dayf sent. But it was these that really caught my eye. They were Donruss. They were 1988. Surely, I have Donruss Tigers cards from 1988. But these are glossy. And Orange. And I have no idea what they are.

It turns out they they are from "Donruss Baseball's Best," a special factory set collector's edition that you can't just buy anywhere for a dollar. No sir.

1988 was the year after the Tigers were upset by the Twins in the playoffs. We are reminded of the trade that will never die with the first card of the set: #13 Doyle Alexander, who just happened to be singlehandedly responsible for getting those Tigers to the playoffs. The rest of the set is full of all the names that you'll remember from the Tigers if you followed them in the late 80s and early 90s. No Orlando Mercado's or Torey Lovullo's here. These are Baseball's Best:







#13 Doyle Alexander

#35 Darrell Evans

#69 Mike Heath







#91 Mike Henneman

#125 Willie Hernandez

#147 Chet Lemon







#181 Jack Morris

#203 Gary Pettis

#237 Matt Nokes







#259 Frank Tanana

#281 Alan Trammell

#293 Walt Terrell



#315 Lou Whitaker