Grand Cards: Home O-pener

Monday, April 4, 2011

Home O-pener

I am literally the most excited person in Baltimore today. It's the Orioles home opener, which has become an annual tradition for my wife and I and they are playing the Tigers. On Opening Day.

More good times:

- If you're familiar with a Baltimore accent say "Home Opener." It's a blast. You'll be saying it all day.

- Luke Scott pulled his groin and won't make it back until Wednesday, at the earliest. This is spectacular news for Tigers fans (For why, see "Tiger Killer Kills Tigers" and "Why I blog, Luke Scott Edition") To echo @sabrerosetiger on twitter the O's should probably just sit him for the whole week just to be safe. Please.

-Yesterday Brennan Boesch did a lot of this:


For those of you without a keen baseball eye, that is a picture of him doing awesome things with the bat. Yesterday it was to the tune of 4 hits, including a home run 4 runs and 4 RBIs. His partner in prolific offensive production was none other than...


It is Opening Day. He will play like a star. It's in the cards (!)

For the rest of you Tigers fans, enjoy your mundane sandwich series between the true opener and the home opener. Me, I'll be sporting all my Tigers gear down at Camden Yards, whereupon I will be mercilessly harassed by the large swaths of ignorant O's fans that show up for 1) Opening Day 2) No other games*. It will be miserable right up to the point where the Tigers beat the undefeated Orioles, at which point I will quietly make my way home, careful to avoid large, belligerent crowds.

*It should be noted that I do not find actual Orioles fans to be ignorant. In fact, they are among the better fans in the game--not surprising if they've stuck with it for this long. The specific subset of fans to which I'm referring are the large drunk masses of people who care about Opening Day, but not about the O's and are intolerable on every level. For the other 364 days of the year they are known as Ravens fans.