Grand Cards: Radio Silence and Random Thoughts

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Radio Silence and Random Thoughts

So, I just got back from two internetless days in beautiful Knoxville, TN, a statement that I meant to write just drenched in sarcasm until I found out that actually, Knoxville was quite nice. Ironically, a productive business trip like the aforementioned means that things are even busier now that I am back in the office, but I thought that I'd take a moment to explain my radio silence of the last few days and speak out on a few things that have been on my mind.

1. Jeter is getting the crazy media love at the moment for tying Lou Gehrig's all-time Yankee Hit record of 2721. Is this as shocking to me as it is to everyone else? No, not that Jeter is tying that record, but that there have been NO 3,000 HIT YANKEES?! You would think that with all the tradition and hall of famers and unreal history of the Yankees, that they would have somebody with 3,000 hits. Now, I know that some of you will say "yeah, but they've had people with 3,000 hits on their team, they just didn't get all of their hits in New York." Ok, fine. But free agency was really a product of the 80's, and I am blown away that there haven't been any people who even got the majority of their 3,000 hits in New York. Wade Boggs, Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield. That's it. None of the greats, in the way that you would think of romanticized Yankee Greats. I just find this very surprising.

2. The Tigers toy with our souls by winning six straight, seeming to grab the division by the horns and then losing two to the Royals. I have so many comments that they go around 360 degrees and leave me with a "no comment." Just win the games you're supposed to win, dammit.

3. This is a baseball card blog, but with my extreme excitement over the college football season, I may sneak in a few college football cards here and there. This will likely be once-in-a-blue moon, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

3a. Speaking of which, I am actually extremely excited that Upper Deck will be producing NCAA cards next year. I would love to start an all-Michigan collection with some of the school's great current and former athletes.

3b. Speaking of which again, I caught on baseball tonight on Monday that Bobby Scales' first inning single was the Cubs 8th consecutive hit to start a game, tying a major league record. He's a Michigan guy, for those of you not making the connection on why this would be 3b.

4. Late Monday, right before I packed to leave, I did a quick 6-in-30 card pull--the ingenious little idea from Dinged Corners. I used the Granderson binder, pulled some winners and had a blast. Then, I wrote down my pulls to post on the road, didn't have internet and it was left in limbo. It will be written and posted at some point.

5. The Recession has taken its toll on this blog, but not how you would think. When I first started at the end of December, the economy was struggling. Work was slow. Blogging opportunity was ample. For those of you thinking that the economy is still in the tank, you're wrong. Things have picked up in the last 3 months and my time available for blogging has diminished considerably. Not to say that there is blog-doom on the horizon for me--that is certainly not the case--but my blogging volume may diminish, with unexplained silences and the like. For those of you that think I write too much as it is, this should make you happy.

6. Speaking of writing too much, that is something that I have not done for the Cardboard Connection. I owe them an article badly, and just haven't had the time to put something good together (see 5). Argh. There isn't enough time in the day.

7. I have had an eBay card get lost in the mail and don't know what to do. I have a tracking number that says it was delivered, but I never got it. This is very frustrating, but I am at a loss. Thoughts?


I'm sure there are more, but it is amazing what pops into your head when you don't have the chance to read and write stuff for just two days. Let me know some of your thought responses to my random thoughts if you get the chance. Normal posting should resume at some point as well. Probably tonight, maybe tomorrow morning.