Grand Cards: A Champion's Stache: #4 Dan Petry

Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Champion's Stache: #4 Dan Petry

In light of my newfound commitment to the greater good that is the collective power of Michigan fans growing mustaches for the September 5th opening game, I thought it best to recall a time 25 years ago when Mustaches led our own Detroit Tigers to their last World Series Championship

Number 4 on the list. The countdown heads into high gear.

1984 Topps #147 Dan Petry


There is a reasonably good chance that I end up looking like Dan Petry on Saturday around game time. There are worse things, I suppose. Dan Petry was ahead of his time. He is sporting an excellent mustache, but one that it better suited to, say 1987 or so, than 1984--at least based on the facial hair choices of the rest of the team. Still, Dan Petry carried that mustache with him for years to come, and looked very much like a family friend of ours also named Dan--raising some suspicion on my end. Turns out he was a scientist.

Petry was the last of our 1984 Starters, all of whom have been represented in this countdown. Tell me again the mustache makes no difference. That mustache makes him look like a Man. An accomplished man which, of course, he was. Dan Petry. With a mustache like that, how could he only be #4?

You'll just have to wait and see. #3 is coming early tomorrow morning, with #2 in the evening. #1 will be saturday morning, once I've shaved and know who's Champion Stache I've channeled for myself.