Grand Cards: WOW. Sheffield out of Detroit

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

WOW. Sheffield out of Detroit

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that the Tigers have released Gary Sheffield, who currently stands at 499 career Home Runs. Sheffield has had an abysmal spring, but I held out hope that, when healthy, he can still be extremely dangerous. This comes on the heels of the Josh Anderson trade yesterday and creates the following situation, in my opinon:

Anderson and Thames will Platoon in Left Field
Carlos Guillen will move from the projected Left Field starter to DH.

Wow. This is a shocker, given the contract and track record of Sheffield, but I know there are many in Detroit who will be glad to see him go. I'm not necessarily a member of that group, as I feel as though he's always gotten a bum rap, and is incredible at getting on base and smart base running--something that many younger players lack. Still, this move instantly makes the Tigers younger, faster and more versatile and may very well be best in the long run.

Good luck to you Gary, I sincerely wish you well and hope you find a roster spot to hit that next Home Run.

UPDATE: The Free Press article has been updated to confirm that Thames will make the team, indicating that he will be an OF/DH option for the team. Considering that he is one of the nicest players that I've ever met, I'm glad to hear it.