Grand Cards: Pure Guillen Gold

Monday, June 8, 2009

Pure Guillen Gold

Sometimes, when a set is first released, I tell myself "I'm not going to go after cards A,B or C for my team set. They are shortprinted (numbered parallels of relics or autographs, usually) and will cost too much without really enhancing my collection. That's what I thought when I saw the requisite All Star Jersey Cards from 2008 Topps--commemorating the Yankee Stadium All Star Game. There's a base Guillen card, quite nice, showing him ripping that near-game winning Home Run, which actually was a Double off the top of the wall.


I really do enjoy this card, if for nothing more than it allows me to recall my one and only experience at Yankee Stadium--something I both regret and wouldn't trade for anything. Hmm.

Anyway, there are a couple of parallel versions of this card, the most common of which is a Gold version numbered to 50. It, along with the Patch (#/25) and Platinum (1/1) versions were on my "Do Not Chase List."

But for .99, who could resist?