Grand Cards: Sure, Perfect Was Good...

Monday, May 10, 2010

Sure, Perfect Was Good...

A tip of the cap to Dallas Braden, who threw a highly improbable, and therefore even more impressive, perfect game. But you know what's better than one perfect game?

How about three no-hitters:
2008 Allen & Ginter #BH5 "Three No-No's" Cabinet Card

This came in the mail on Saturday which got me thinking about no-hitters and the like. What I decided was this: I love historical footnotes and milestones and so forth. Most players aren't going to be immortalized in the Hall of Fame. Many very good players will never make an All Star Game. But there are others who will be part of extraordinary feats that they will be able to talk about for the rest of their lives. No hitters are one. Batting for the cycle. Perhaps a good hitting streak, or a 20-20-20-20 season. These are the types of things that end up on wikipedia lists or as AFLAC Trivia Questions, but, by and large, are forgotten by the majority of fans.

Isn't that what cards are for? To me, a good milestone card or the remembrance of a major feat or season highlight means alot to me. I have an old Score "Cecil Fielder hits 51 Home Runs" that is still one of my favorites. So yeah, I think that this card is pretty great.

What's better is that I didn't even know it existed until last week. I've been going through trying to backfill my collection of mini Allen & Ginters when I thought to myself "Hey, while I'm going after minis, I wonder if there are any Tigers on those really big cards from a few years back." Turns out, yes. There is this one (and two from 2007). This is the first A&G Cabinet card that I've ever seen and I am now on the hunt for more. They are big, well composed and generally fantastic. Here's hoping there's a Tiger worth putting on one in 2010.