Grand Cards: Ultimate Checklist: 2008 UD Premier

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ultimate Checklist: 2008 UD Premier

Enough of that creepy Ty Cobb picture on the front, don't you think? I thought it was ok when I first found it, but the more I looked at it, the weirder it got.

Anyway, let's take a look at Granderson's presence in the high-end UD Premier. This set actually includes one of my favorite Granderson's of the year, but in a strange way. Have you ever had a card that you liked, or were drawn to, but had no idea why you really liked it? That's how I feel about the "Emerging Stars" Dual Autograph card of Granderson and Fred Lewis (#/35).
2008 UD Premier #ES-GL Emerging Stars Auto
I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but for some reason I think that this card is great. Beats me. There may also be a parallel version of this card #/15. I haven't seen it and it's not on any checklist I've found, but other "Emerging Stars" Dual Autos have a parallel like this, so I'll keep my eyes peeled just in case.

Onto the normal set, Granderson has a base card, #147. In case you weren't aware, people don't care about base cards in high-end sets. In an attempt to remedy this, Upper Deck has serial numbered the cards in Premier to make them seem rare. We have:
Base (#/99)
Blue (#/15)
Silver (#/5)
Gold (#/1)
and an Autographed Parallel (#/25)

I have none of these cards, having only come across them sparingly on the open market. Moving on, the standard "hit" in the set is his "Milestones Autograph"--one of the first autograph cards of Granderson that I ever got (and I got it CHEAP--Woo!) For this card there is a Milestones Autograph and two parallel versions. First the regular (#/25)
2008 UD Premier Milestones Autograph (#/25)
A 1/1 Gold Version exists, as does this Platinum Parallel Version (#/5).
2008 UD Premier Milestones Autograph: Platinum
Is it just me, or does the regular card look more platinum-y than the Platinum parallel. Sometimes I think that these cards are just named randomly to correspond with fancy sounding things, regardless of what the card actually looks like.

That sums up my collection from this set, but that's not all she wrote! No sir, There is a Quad Patch of Granderson, Vernon Wells, Torii Hunter and Grady Sizemore--not a bad group if I say so myself. That comes in regular (#/20), Gold (#/10), Platinum (#/5) and Masterpiece (1/1) versions. My memory is kind of fuzzy, but I think that this card is pretty sharp.

Finally, "The Premier Card" in the set (I'm not being cute, that is the name of the card) is a Verlander/Bonderman/Granderson compilation numbered out of 3. One of these is in the hands of the Ultimate Bonderman Collector, another was on eBay a few months ago with a best offer/buy it now. I low balled it and didn't get it, it re-listed and I don't think sold, but now I can't remember. So, there are one, maybe two of these floating around.

In all, I think that Premier is perfectly fine, but I was hardly blown away by it. The base card has a very similar feel to the Milestones Autograph and the other cards are either so scarce or so expensive that I don't really both with them. This is one of those sets that falls way above my price range, so I pick and choose where I can find a bargain. Otherwise, there are many more Grandersons in the world worth paying the big bucks for.