Grand Cards: So Groggy

Saturday, February 12, 2011

So Groggy

I say that because as you're reading this, the following has happened to me: Took a 12am (PST) red eye flight from California that gets into Houston at 5:53am, then I sat around in the airport for another hour before boarding a flight to get back to Baltimore by 11:15am.

Alternative scenario: one of those two things screwed up, meaning that I am definitely not in Baltimore, which you know will make me groggy.

In case you couldn't tell, I have pre-scheduled this post. Why? Because of the above, and the fact that prior to embarking on the above, I have some time to kill and no hotel room and the cumulative effect of two days of coffee in me.

Fortunately, I get to come home to this*



Why do I care about Jack Billingham? He just happens to be the last card that I needed for my '79 Topps set. He came to me courtesy of Greg, formerly of Lake Effect Cards, and now of Nearly Mint and who has a habit of sending me cards out of the goodness of his heart.

Clearly, this is man who has a lot of goodness in his heart, because he also sent me a load of vintage goodness (and early 80's cards that come this close to closing out sets for me);

















Most (or all? I need to check my checklist again) of the 1999 Topps Opening Day cards I needed;









and this:


Wow. I don't even know what to say. There were also assorted other cards that I needed and some more cards that I probably needed at the time he bought them, but that I bought before they got into my hands...Sorry about that!

So a BIG BIG BIG Thank you to Greg (@grogg on twitter) for the phenomenal cards. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your generosity!


*If I had my druthers, I would show multiple pictures of my lovely wife. But, I'm guessing that she wouldn't be pleased with me slathering pictures of her all over the internet. However, I felt it appropriate to include the "*" so that if and when she reads this post, she will know that I was not only thinking about coming home to baseball cards and was, in fact, mostly thinking about coming home to her. It is almost Valentines Day, after all.