Grand Cards: Topps Unique Wins Me Over?

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Topps Unique Wins Me Over?

Oh, it's been some time now, but long long ago, before the Tigers were a crushing disappointment, they played a game in Pittsburgh where they wore awesome, ridiculous throwback jerseys.
Topps, Upper Deck or whoever--get me some 2010 baseball cards with these throwbacks. Or even better *PRODUCT IDEA ALERT* 2010 Allen & Ginter should be the current players ALL pictured in throwbacks, preferably in some sort of "posed action shot." That would be killer.


Check.


Yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. 1909 Throwback Granderson.



Pow! Negro League Throwback. Yes.

I'm going to ignore for a minute that the actual design of these cards is really, really weak and relish the fact that this will likely be the one and only time that we see Curtis Granderson wearing a 1909 throwback uniform, and that alone is outstanding. Remember, it's the little things. Still, this could have been in Topps 206--you know, THE SET THAT REPLICATES 1909! I'll calmly reassert my claim: a throwback set of current players in throwback uniforms would be totally awesome. What's more, with Upper Deck having no more license, they could do a full vintage set of people in Negro League throwbacks without risking licensing issues. I'm just sayin'. You've got a chance in 2010.

I'm just starting to get a grasp of the set and don't know how I feel about it yet. I mean, there is a 0% chance that I buy a box, but I'm not even sure whether I like it or not, and if I do, what I like about it. Here's a couple of other Granderson's to help you decide.





Preliminary conclusion: From the Granderson cards alone, I like what I see. He's got a good looking base card, he's got an insert with a 1909 throwback and he's got an autographed card that is actually pretty nice looking all things considered. It's not the type of card that I'd expect out of a $150 box, but if it was an insert in the Topps flagship I feel like it would fit in nicely. Seems to me like this set is going to be hit or miss, with solid photography being the deciding factor of whether a particular card is palatable or not. Isn't that just always the way?