Grand Cards: Ultimate Checklist: 2008 SP Legendary Cuts

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ultimate Checklist: 2008 SP Legendary Cuts

Ahh, SP Legendary Cuts. You might remember it from such legal disputes as "Topps sues Upper Deck over illegally using the likeness of dead players." No? Here's a refresher. Fortunately, the still-living Granderson came through unscathed through a base card, an game used insert, and the most inane "1 of 1" cards (yes, plural) that I've seen this side of Topps Moments & Milestones.
 
The game used card is a perfectly fine looking card with a white swatch.  I think that the Tigers may have the nicest home uniforms in all of baseball, but man, they do not lend themselves to exciting jersey swatches.  If only I were a Yankee Collector, sigh... (followed by a shiver upon realization of what I just said).  Anyway, that card looks like this: 
2008 SP Authentic #DS-CG Curtis Granderson: Game Used Jersey
See? it's nice. It's fine. In fact, the gals over at Dinged Corners had something to say about it too.

This set also features a base card, #81 reproduced below for your convenience.
2008 SP Legendary Cuts #81 Curtis Granderson
Eh...

Now, onto the odd part of this set. Card #81 has a parallel known as #81 "Memorable Moments." What happens is this: On the left side of the card, above the row of stars in the lower left corner is a white box (sticker?) that has a memorable moment from the season or career. Sometimes it will be a specific game event etc. Of course the prestigious "1 of 1" gold stamp is on the top left of the card. How do I know all of this? Because I know that there are at least 14 of them floating around, each with a separate moment pasted on it, but really the exact same card. There are at least 14, and likely many more, because last month 14 of them were individually listed on eBay for $9.95 each (2 of them sold). Ugh. Now, I would like to get as many of these cards as I can (because I'm a bit obsessive for completeness) but having all of these "1 of 1" cards just artificially inflates the price and makes them a bit of a joke. So, SP Legendary Cuts, I have this to say to you: Boo.

Can SPx do better? I guess we'll see!