Grand Cards: Mail Day!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mail Day!

A sheet of ice covering Baltimore has delayed the start of work for an hour, so I figured I'd fit in a quick post about some of the packages that came across my desk in the last couple days. I'll cover two here, but there are more to come!

Brian at 30-year old Cardboard sent me an unsolicited email last week asking for my address so that he could send me a package. I was happy to oblige and was handsomely rewarded! A pack of assorted Tigers, ranging from the late 80s all the way through the 2008 Topps set greeted me when I opened it up. Some highlights:
From Grand Cards
I don't have a lot of those late 80s Score or Donruss so they will fill out my collection nicely! Of course, the highlight of the whole package falls into this category.
From Grand Cards
I'm not going to get into a long diatribe about people being in the Hall of Fame, but I will say this: Tram should be getting more serious consideration that 17-18%. That is a joke--get with it people.

Thank you Brian for your extreme generosity! It was a very friendly "welcome to the blog-neighborhood!"

My second package came from StevieBurks32 over at the Detroit Sports Collectors forum. Steve was the beneficiary of my extra Topps Tigers Bonus cards. In exchange for those beauties, he obliterated my 1980's Topps Wants. He sent 46 cards off my wantlist--including 23 from the 1985 set that I needed. He also gave me 8 Gold Foil versions of 2008 Topps cards that I needed. I wasn't a big proponent of collecting those, but I kept getting them so I thought, why not? Here are the highlights from Steve's package:
1980 Topps "The Bird"
1981 Topps
1982 Topps
1983 Explosion!
1985 Topps
1986 Topps
White Sox GM Ken Williams in 1989


And of course, my favorite from the set: Sweet Lou.
From Grand Cards

The only thing more egregious than Tram's paltry Hall of Fame support is the fact the Sweet Lou didn't even make it past the first ballot. Look at his numbers. Seriously, look it up. He is Hall Worthy, in my opinion as much or moreso that Alan Trammell.

Well, that's all for now, off to Work. Thanks to Brian and Steve for the great cards!