Grand Cards: Ultimate Checklist: 2008 Upper Deck First Edition

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ultimate Checklist: 2008 Upper Deck First Edition

First Edition is a very simple release that basically looks the same as regular Upper Deck, but costs less and doesn't have the fancy foil. My only two cards from the set were recently posted but I thought a side-by-side comparison might be useful. First the First Edition:
2008 Upper Deck First Edition #360
Followed by the regular Upper Deck card:
2008 Upper Deck #499 Curtis Granderson
See? There is no major difference, other than the foil. In fact, the First Edition card is actually easier to read! Still, that doesn't mean that it is a very worthwhile set. Granderson has that card, a green version of a starquest card and the mythical game used card (#FECG) numbered to 750 that I have never seen nor heard of anyone having. I wouldn't be surprised if that card was announced and never released, but still made its way onto beckett by error.

Anyway, nothing special with First Edition here, I'm not really sure why they have it at all, but I won't complain. It just makes for two easy and cheap cards to pick up and bolster the collection.