Grand Cards: Mail Day!

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mail Day!

A couple of packages greeted me the other day, each with small contents that packed a big punch.

The first came courtesy of Marie at A Cardboard Problem. She's been looking out for me ever since I sent a couple of Pujols cards her way and she surely didn't disappoint. In the envelope we had:
2009 Topps Heritage #50 Curtis Granderson

The one and only Granderson card from 2009 Topps Heritage! Somehow, I didn't have this card yet and was very, very pleased when it arrived. I think the design of these cards is excellent, although Curtis, man, it's time to take the bat off of your shoulder in these posed shots. Love the quasi-action stance on the side though--these cards are really, really nice. Thanks Marie! A small courtesy package is on its way to you as of yesterday afternoon.

The other package packed an even bigger punch, thanks to reader Duane, proprietor of the Democratic Roadkill blog. He had offered me something very special that I had had my eye on for a long time but had trouble finding.
2008 Topps Allen & Ginter #RC11 Curtis Granderson Rip Card (#/75)

Wow. I was speechless. Sure, all of the goodies had been extracted:
but that is the beauty of the Rip Card--it had ZERO effect on the front and I was treated to one of the most unique Granderson images in his short baseball card life. Had I known more about this card a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure that it would have made my Best of 2008 list. Just look at it! High-quality A&G styling, war-fort background, posed but without looking too posed picture. It looks the the Union Army was using Granderson to take out Confederates by hitting baseballs into a valley to pick them off one-by-one and he is looking into the distance as his most recent hit approaches its unsuspecting victim.

Seriously, scroll up and look at the card again and tell me that's not what it looks like.

Duane, a package of wants has been sent in your direction.

Thank you so much to Marie and Duane for brightening what has been a very busy and stressful week!