Grand Cards: This Just In: 2008 Stadium Club Photographer's Proof Gold

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

This Just In: 2008 Stadium Club Photographer's Proof Gold

The (brief) countdown continues: Here's number 299.

2008 Topps Stadium Club #6 Curtis Granderson: Photographer's Proof Gold

I've written about this card before and here happily present one of its rarer parallel versions. Unfortunately, I think that the "Photographer's Proof" portion detracts from the overall aesthetic of the card, by adding a bulky, opaque graphic on the side of the card. This Gold version is numbered to 50. Interestingly, I've been able to add both photographer's proof cards to my collection, but neither of the nicer looking base card (#/999) or the 1st Day Issue with its sparkling stamp on the front. Undoubtedly, the proof cards are rarer, but perhaps people are more willing to unload them because they don't look as nice? Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. People are more willing to unload the proof cards because they think that they're worth more, so they find their way on to eBay while the regular card sits in a box never to see the pages of my binder. Sigh.

That's it. We are one card away from the 300th unique Curtis Granderson card in my collection. I know what it is, and it is making its way through the mail as we speak. Any guesses from readers out there? Feel free to peruse my collection to help give you ideas of what might be on its way.